The panels of painted glass in the north window of the chancel and the south window of the nave date from 1524 and were originally in the Holy Ghost chapel Basingstoke. Lord Sandys, Henry VIII’s Lord Chamberlain had developed the chapel as a burial place for the Sandys family. He employed the most important Flemish glaziers and artists of the day to create a large range of stained glass windows.
During the Civil War lead from the glass was being used by Parliamentary troops to make bullets. The glass panes were removed for safe keeping and were stored in the loft of Mottisfont Priory, one of the Sandys estates. After the Civil War some of the panes were used in the chapel of The Vyne, another Sandys family home.
In 1684 the Sandys estates were inherited by Sir John Mill of Woolbeding House. His grandson, the Rev. Sir Henry Mill, rector of Woolbeding, aware of the 16th century glass in storage at Mottisfont, used some of the panels to create a beautiful east window in the chancel of All Hallows church, Woolbeding.
In 1876, during the Victorian restorations the Saxon chancel was demolished and the 16th century window was broken up and most of the remaining fragments were inserted in the north and south windows.
Today, nearly five hundred years after their creation, the glass panels are in an excellent state of preservation and are of national importance – an outstanding example of the highest quality 16th century painted glass.
The east window of the 19th century is significant because it was designed by the noted Victorian glazier, Charles Eamer Kempe.